Have you ever read that article that pops up on the internet from time to time and illustrates how if the first and last letters of a word are correct then the order of the other letters doesn’t matter – we can still read it? It’s because our minds perform tricks and read what ought to be there. Checking your own patterns is just like that – you know what it should say and your mind plays tricks on you. With the best will in the world, you just cannot reliably check your own patterns.
Why not let me help you? I can polish your pattern and catch any errors and inconsistencies, leaving you to what you do best – designing.
I will only ever make suggestions and recommendations, the final decision about whether to make changes will always be yours.
- Check for typos, spelling mistakes and grammatical issues
- Check your pattern against your style sheet (if you have one) or otherwise check for consistency
- Check abbreviations are all present and defined
- Verify your maths – stitch counts, gauge, sizes
- Confirm that your written instructions match your charts
- Confirm that your instructions match your photos
- Make suggestions for how to improve flow or clarity
- Create written instructions from charts or vice versa (using Stitchmastery)
- Create schematics (using Inkscape)
- Help you develop a style sheet
- Review your layout to ensure logical flow around the pattern
Most of my working life has been spent in designing computer software, much of it checking specifications for programs (which have a lot of similarities to knitting patterns!). I have an eye for detail and I love maths and spreadsheets. I’ve been a knitter for most of my life and a designer of knitting patterns for the last few years.
How much will it cost?
My charges are £15 (GBP) per hour, billed in 15 minute increments. I am happy to give you an estimate before I start, and if you are on a tight budget you can set a cap, or ask me to prioritise certain areas – you’re in control.
If this sounds like something that could be useful to you then please contact me and we can take it from there.
You might also be interested in: